Thursday, December 15, 2016

Metal Cock Radio's Best of 2016

I figured I’d resurrect this blog because I have opinions and I like sharing them. I’ll skip the “2016 was a hellish year” stuff because we all know that. Putting that aside, I missed ALOT of albums this year that I need to go back and revisit. I seem to do that every year, so first up is a short list of a few records I’ve jammed the hell out of this year, that came out in 2015 and I just slept on them like a doofus.

3. Humungus - Warband: THRASH! I love Humungus, but when this album came out I kinda glossed over it. I listened to it, and I liked it but it had been so long since they’d put anything out that I wasn’t as excited about it as I would have been years ago. This year I gave it another shot and it stayed in my car for weeks.
2. All Hell - The Red Sect: I knew about this album last year, but I wanted to wait to buy it from the band themselves, so I waited until early this year. And then this year they got signed to Prosthetic records, so I'm sure they'll be on the list for 2017 with a new release.
1. Unrest - Grindcore: Like the rest of this list, I knew about this album and kept putting off buying it. It’s punishing and I’ve listened to it more this year than I’ve ever listened to Nails. The title says it all.


OK! Now that I’ve got that off my chest, here’s THIS year’s list. As always I tend to shy away from the big releases, so no Meshuggah, Gojira, or Metallica (Haha). These albums either hit me hard when I heard them or I listened to a lot. Or both. Mostly both.

10. Violet Cold - Magic Night

I know a lot of people are probably sick of the shoegaze black metal train, but this one man band is amazing. Brilliant blend of spacey post rock, black metal, orchestral/piano arrangements, and even some electronic synth here and there. Listening Violet Cold is like being suspended in space, drifting through the void. You know you’re going to die, everything is over, it’s cold, it’s dark, it’s sad, but goddamn you can’t deny the breathtaking view. For fans of Deafheaven in style alone. In execution it's a different beast altogether. 

Favorite song: Everything You Can Imagine Is Real...


9.  Enthean - Priests of Annihilation 

I don’t normally get excited about super technical/brutal metal, ESPECIALLY bands with symphonic elements, but Enthean does it just right. Blending symphonic samples and absolutely ridiculous guitar work without being overbearing or boring, these guys write really memorable and impressive blackened death metal. They've been kicking around for years, at first as just 2 guitarists with backing tracks; now as a full band. If they aren't signed this time next year I'll be surprised, because they've not only put in serious work this year, but they have this marvelous record to show for it. For fans of Emperor but more death metal.

Favorite song: Bring Forth the Raven


8. Suppressive Fire - Bedlam

Suppressive Fire busted ass touring on this album out at the beginning of the year. It’s a ripping follow up to their Hellwraith EP and it delivers more riffs, nastier vocals, and all around faster thrash. A few of the tracks are even rerecorded from the EP and they sound better than ever. And with a new lineup and another new album coming out in a month, I can't wait to see what these guys do next! For fans of Kreator back when they were good. If you ain't fast, you're last.

Favorite song: The Hellwraith


7. Razormaze - Spawnsong

New. Fucking. Razormaze. This EP seemed to come out of nowhere and since the band is divided around the country it wasn’t promoted too well, so a lot of people missed it. It’s definitely the heaviest thing they’ve put out, blending a lot of death metal elements to their calculated thrash style they developed with their last record. Now if only they’d just tour on it... For fans of Havok but heavier.

Favorite song: Spawnsong
Buy it here!


6. Pale Ritual - Carriers of Nothing

Pale Ritual is the project of the Morris brothers from Marrow of Earth and Divulgence, so of course it’s on this list. This time they’ve embraced the atmospheric black metal that was only barely present in Marrow of Earth’s last release, but they kept the technicality, intense drumming and ALL THE RIFFS. Seriously you don’t hear usually hear the words “atmospheric blackened death metal” and think it’ll be super riff heavy, but they do NOT disappoint. As punishing as ever. For fans of Morbus Chron and (lets be honest) Marrow of Earth.

Favorite song: Artful Death Display


5. Coagula - Vile Sacrement EP

I’ll be honest, I slept on this one for a little bit, and I’m bummed I did because it SLAYS. Visceral death metal with just the right amount of crust. This EP takes a few tracks from their demo, tosses a few new songs, and ups everything about them. The vocals are gnarlier, the drums sound better, and the guitars are crisp and biting. It hits harder, it goes faster, and it takes no prisoners. For fans of Entombed but ballsier.

Favorite song: The Other


4. Whores. - Gold

I’ve been waiting so long for this record to come out, and it was worth the wait. Fierce noise/sludge that can’t be beat. I don’t claim to be too knowledgable when it comes to the noise rock genre, but I’ve yet to hear a song by these guys that doesn’t get me pumped. After their punishing EP, Clean, I was instantly ready for more and Gold delivers. For fans of Melvins with less art and more oomph.

Favorite song: I See You Are Also Wearing a Black Shirt
Buy it here!



3. Axattack - Axattack

I know I know, I debated on putting it on here, ESPECIALLY so far up on the list, but if I’m being honest, I’ve listened to this record more than (almost) any record on this list. That’s what happens when you put an album out. So I won’t rant about how good it is or what’s good about it, because I’ve listened to it so many times I know every flaw and mistake on the record. I’ll just say that I’m super proud of it and have listened as it’s creator and as its fan. I don’t care if it makes me seem pretentious. For fans of Toxic Holocaust.

Favorite song: Ugh how do you pick your favorite kid? I don't know.
Buy it here (if you want I guess)


2. Oathbreaker - Rheia

This album really caught me by surprise. I like Oathbreaker and their last album was great, but I wasn’t prepared for the chaotic experience of listening to Rheia all the way through for the first time (let alone seeing it live). Oathbreaker took the ripping dbeat crust from their first record, upped the atmosphere and melody, and encorporated WAY more clean singing to the point where most of the record is sung instead of screamed. And it works SO WELL. A friend described it as Bjork in a black metal band, and that’s been my favorite description of this album. It starts heavy and jarring with an intense vocal performance and great guitar hooks, but as the record goes on it slows to a somber trudge that never breaks your attention. I was captivated and mesmerized through the whole experience and it covered a wide spectrum of intense, at times not even being loud and heavy. I have trouble doing a “for fans of” section here because they’ve been compared to Deafheaven and bands of that nature, but I really don’t think that does them justice. This album is unique and I urge you to listen to it.

Favorite song: Second Son of R


1. Moon Tooth - Chromaparagon

This record was on repeat for months in my car. Then I put it down for a few months, popped it back in on a whim and then it didn’t stop spinning for a few more months. I knew when this album came out that it would be on this list, and after the second monthly rotation I knew it would be at the very top. It’s catchy, it has riffs and hooks for days, it’s melodic, it’s interesting, and it’s HEAVY. And all the while it’s unique and different while remaining accessible. Hell, their vocal melodies at times are riffs of their own, singing blues scales and solos that at first glance are a little odd, but then they seem to make more and more sense as you listen until it’s its own instrument. This is another band that I’ve tried describing to people and I hate doing it because it never does the band justice. They have sludgy elements akin to Torche and Mastodon, but they don’t sound like either of those bands. If you haven’t heard this record you need to, no matter what genre of music (NOT JUST METAL) you listen to. There’s something here for everyone and it’s so rare to find an album like this.

Favorite song: Offered Blood

No comments:

Post a Comment